Καλώς ήρθατε στην διαδικτυακή μας κοινότητα.
Εδώ μπορείτε να συζητήσετε και να ενημερωθείτε για θέματα που αφορούν την Πρωτοβάθμια Φροντίδα Υγείας.
Για να συμμετέχετε και να μπορείτε να κατεβάσετε αρχεία και εικόνες που βρίσκονται στα μηνύματα πρέπει να εγγραφείτε.
Η εγγραφή είναι δωρεάν και θα σας αποσταλεί άμεσα ένα e-mail για την ενεργοποίηση της εγγραφής σας.
Εάν δεν το λάβετε σε λίγα λεπτά ελέγξετε το φάκελο ομαδικής αλληλογραφίας ή το φάκελο SPAM ή το φάκελο ανεπιθύμητης αλληλογραφίας καθώς μπορεί να βρεθεί εκεί από λάθος του λογισμικού ηλεκτρονικού ταχυδρομείου.
Εάν έχετε ξεχάσει τον κωδικό σας, μπορείτε να ζητήσετε να σας ξανασταλεί από εδώ.
28 Μαρτίου 2024, 20:22:58

Αποστολέας Θέμα: Ένας Γενικός Ιατρός πρέπει να μάθει να ζει και με την αβεβαιότητα.  (Αναγνώστηκε 17290 φορές)

0 μέλη και 1 επισκέπτης διαβάζουν αυτό το θέμα.

14 Μαΐου 2013, 08:40:17
Αναγνώστηκε 17290 φορές
Αποσυνδεδεμένος

Argirios Argiriou

Fam Med. 2012 Apr;44(4):240-6.
Tolerance of uncertainty and fears of making mistakes among fifth-year medical students.
Nevalainen M, Kuikka L, Sjoberg L, Eriksson J, Pitkala K.

Source
Department of General Practice, University of Helsinki, Finland. maarit.nevalainen@helsinki.fi

Abstract

BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES:
Tolerance of uncertainty is an important skill among general practitioners (GPs). Our aim was to study fifth-year medical students' feelings related to facing uncertainty and fears of making mistakes in medical decisions. Further, we studied the associations of intolerance of uncertainty with demographic factors, the students' fears of making mistakes, and their views of a GP's work prior to their ultimate course in general practice.

METHODS:
A questionnaire-based survey was carried out among the fifth-year medical students prior to their main course in general practice at the University of Helsinki. The questionnaire included demographic variables and inquired about their views of their own tolerance of uncertainty, fear of making mistakes, and of a GP's work overall.

RESULTS:
During the years 2008--2010, 307/359 medical students (mean age 25.7 years, 64% females) responded. Of the respondents, 22% felt they had difficulty tolerating uncertainty when making medical decisions. Females reported that they tolerated uncertainty poorly more often (27%) than did males (11%). Those tolerating uncertainty more poorly were more often afraid of making mistakes (100% versus 86%). This group more often considered a GP's work too difficult and challenging than did others.

CONCLUSIONS:
Poor self-reported tolerance of uncertainty among medical students is associated with considering a GP's work too challenging.

Δεν είναι ορατοί οι σύνδεσμοι (links). Εγγραφή ή Είσοδος

« Τελευταία τροποποίηση: 14 Μαΐου 2013, 08:42:06 από Argirios Argiriou »
Before ordering a test decide what you will do if it is (1) positive, or (2) negative. If both answers are the same, don't do the test. Archie Cochrane.

9 Φεβρουαρίου 2015, 17:23:40
Απάντηση #1
Αποσυνδεδεμένος

Argirios Argiriou

A Country Doctor, MD | Physician | February 6, 2015

Primary care is a messy business. Nobody has just one simple problem, and no patient has all the typical symptoms for their diagnosis. Most don’t even tell us everything that’s going on. And most don’t follow their treatment plan completely. But this may be OK, since we often change our minds about what is right or wrong in the practice of medicine.

Knowing what constitutes success in front line medicine is not easy. Let me illustrate:

A middle-aged smoker comes in for a followup on his blood pressure treatment and mentions that he would like to try Chantix (varenicline) to help him quit. My nurse has already secured our practice credit for documenting his smoking status. I can use certain billing codes to document my counseling on the subject, and I can get credit for printing out the drug information, even though the pharmacy also provides a printout. This is a successful visit, it might seem.

But I also ask, “Ron, what makes you want to quit at this particular point in time?”

“Well, I’ve had this funny cough, like a dry hack, for the last two weeks whenever I take a deep breath,” he answers.

Ron turns out to have a very small, resectable lung cancer. My question about the reason for his request probably saved his life and catapulted us from shallow administrative success to probable or at least possible clinical victory, without making any further difference in my own quality metrics.

Another patient, Ellen Wurtz, a diabetic in her late fifties, makes me look like I am treading water. Her blood sugar, blood pressure, weight, and cholesterol are all above target, and she never brings in her blood sugar logs. She has nonspecific side effects from every new medication I prescribe for her. But she keeps all her appointments. We talk about how she can best help raise her granddaughter, now that Ellen’s daughter is in rehab, and we talk about how she can support her husband’s self-esteem after he lost his job at age 61. Am I wasting her time and mine, or am I part of the safety net that helps her keep her family going through difficult times that threaten to shatter their lives?

Joe Parva, a 65-year-old with high cholesterol and two previous heart attacks, never reached his LDL target of 70 or less, and both his triglycerides and HDL were out-of-range. I just kept him on his Lipitor. I didn’t prescribe Zetia (ezetimibe) to push his LDL to target, and I never gave him niacin for his HDL or a fibrate for his triglycerides. We talked about it several times, and when I told Joe that Zetia and niacin had never been shown to lower heart attack risk, he chose not to try them. After hearing that there were no studies comparing heart attack risk on 80 mg of Lipitor alone versus Lipitor plus a fibrate, and after hearing that the combination increases the risk of side effects, he elected not to be a guinea pig. If we had done quality metrics around lipid treatment during the last half dozen years, Joe would have made me look pretty bad, but after the introduction of last year’s new guidelines, Joe’s care has been top-notch all along.

When my children were infants, we laid them on their bellies to sleep because science had shown that infants sleeping on their back had an increased risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). My grandchildren were placed on their backs instead because by then science had shown that infants sleeping on their bellies had an increased risk of SIDS.

Every primary care provider’s day is filled with moments of opportunity to do the right thing or not; we are almost always walking that fine line between failure and success. Sometimes the balancing act is about noticing clinical signs, sometimes it is about setting the right priorities, sometimes it is about weighing guidelines versus actual evidence and applying it all to individual patients. Much of the time, we won’t know if we did the right or the wrong thing until much later, and in many cases we’ll never know. All we can do is be diligent, do our best and be willing to learn and re-learn.

Just like tightrope walkers, we can’t focus our attention on the hard surface beneath us should we falter and fall, but on what’s straight ahead, or we will lose our courage and our concentration.

A career on the front lines of medicine requires that you are comfortable with uncertainty because primary care is very often messy and quite seldom completely straightforward.

In the words of Elbert Hubbard: “The line between failure and success is so fine … that we are often on the line and do not know it.”

“A Country Doctor” is a family physician who blogs at A Country Doctor Writes:.

Before ordering a test decide what you will do if it is (1) positive, or (2) negative. If both answers are the same, don't do the test. Archie Cochrane.

Λέξεις κλειδιά: γενική ιατρική αβεβαιότητα 

Σχετικά θέματα

Τίτλος / Ξεκίνησε από Απαντήσεις Τελευταίο μήνυμα
26 Απαντήσεις
72871 Εμφανίσεις
Τελευταίο μήνυμα 18 Νοεμβρίου 2018, 12:14:40
από Argirios Argiriou
1 Απαντήσεις
11796 Εμφανίσεις
Τελευταίο μήνυμα 6 Ιανουαρίου 2012, 15:44:38
από Αδαμάντιος Σκούφαλος
10 Απαντήσεις